From the Cloth Nappy Doctor Blog
Smelly Cloth Nappies? The 3 main reasons why
If you cloth nappies have a urine odour, check the following:
- Ensure you are using the full recommended dose of detergent (Washing Products), too much can make the fabric smell;
- Do not use detergent that has any ‘extra’s will all lead to fabric starting to smell).
- Make sure you have lots and lots of sun exposure. It is fantastic for bleaching and ridding smells.
- Ideally, wash daily.
- If that does not work, try a strip wash as described below.
Bucket smells from the cloth nappies
Here are some tips to reduce the smell of your bucket, if using one:
- Leave the lid off or use a lid that swings. This helps with air circulation.
- Rinse the nappies before dry pailing to decrease the toxicity of urine.
- After you have put the cloth nappies in the wash, wipe the bucket with an old rag with a few drops of eucalytus or tea tree oil. Just throw the wipe in with your cloth nappies. If you are feeling extra special, try a few drops of lavendar.